photo HomeHeaderPages_zps121b83d7.jpg  photo AboutHeaderPages_zps6faf416f.jpg  photo ContactHeaderPages_zps0989aee4.jpg

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Christmas Makes: Finlayson Sweaters, a White Russian Sweatshirt

Eating, and eating, and more eating!

I had a wonderful holiday, I got to go home for two weeks and spend a bunch of time with my family. It was great to get away from work and things in CO for awhile, but it is nice to be back. There's a few weeks before the semester actually starts back up again so I have time to get back in the swing of things here, and do some recharging. Before I left for break I did quite a bit of sewing. I made both of my roommates By Hand London Sabrina dresses (which I'm not going to post today because I only have one subpar picture). Both dresses fit great considering I didn't make muslins of them as I wanted them to be a surprise. I ended up hemming one by about 4 inches and taking the other in just a wee bit on the sides.


Fabric: Black Ethnic Diamond on White Cotton French Terry Blend Knit Fabric - Girl Charlee 
             2 x 1 White Cotton Solid Rib Knit - Girl Charlee
Pattern: Finlayson Sweater Pattern - Thread Theory Designs, Inc. 

I've never made my brother, dad, or grandpa anything I've sewn so I thought this Christmas I'd gift them all with Finlayson Sweaters. This was my first time using a Thread Theory pattern and my first time really sewing any menswear. I thought the pattern instructions were clear and organized and very well written, and all three of my sweaters turned out fantastic. One thing I really liked about this pattern was the different ways you could customize the sweater. I chose to make the version lacking the hood and front pocket, but I was still able to add details at the collar and back of the neck. I think the collar is my favorite part of this sweater. I love how it folds over and how the use of a contrasting fabric really stands out. This sweater was for my brother who's 23. I thought this print was really fun and 'young' and I was hoping he'd like it a lot.

 
My brother modeling! It fit him great, he even wore it as his Christmas outfit

The fit on this ended up being great, it was a little bit loose in the arms, but I think that's due to the fabric having a lot of stretch. Hopefully once it's washed it'll tighten up a bit. 


Fabric: Deep Forest Cotton Modal Lycra French Terry Knit & Sandalwood Cotton Modal Lycra French Terry Knit -
          Girl Charlee

I unfortunately didn't get pictures of my dad and grandpa wearing their Finlayson's, but they fit them both great as well. I made my dad the Forest Green one and my grandpa the Sandalwood color. I think they were both surprised that I had made them sweaters. It was fun to see the looks on their faces when they realized that, yes, I really did make them! For these two I didn't use ribbing on the cuffs or hem, instead I just used the terry knit fabric. Girl Charlee didn't have ribbing in matching colors and I thought white or black would stand out too much.


Fabric: Koala Gray Cotton Jersey Sweatshirt Fleece Fabric - Girl Charlee
             Black Cotton Solid Rib Knit - Girl Charlee
             Black Piping - JoAnn Fabrics
Pattern: White Russian Sweatshirt - Capital Chic Patterns

Last, but certainly not the least is a gray quilted White Russian Sweatshirt that I made for my mom. I've made two White Russians before ( one quilted and another appliqued ) and loved the way they both turned out. My mom had previously mentioned wanting a quilted one, and boy did I pull out all the stops on this one. I loved the way it turned out so much I wanted to keep it. I used real ribbing for the cuffs, hem, and collar which makes it look more like a RTW item. My favorite detail besides the quilting is the black piping I added at the raglan seams! I'm not going to lie, I was inspired by the piping on this fabulous wool top that Katy from Katy & Laney made. All in all I think it was a successful, but a little stressful, handmade gift giving season.  Next year if I make clothes for my family I want to start much much earlier that way I don't have to cram it all in last minute. I'm planning on posting again later today or sometime tomorrow on all of the upcoming projects I have planned. Can't wait to get back to my sewing machine now that I've had some time away.

1 comment: